Description of the Lab
The Laboratory of Fluid Dynamics and Technical Flows (LSS: Lehrstuhl für Strömungsmechanik und Strömungstechnik) is responsible at the University of Magdeburg "Otto von Guericke" for all research and teaching activities in the field of fluid dynamics. This includes in particular experimental and numerical research projects concerning reacting and multi-phase flows, sprays, laminar and turbulent flames, turbomachines and pumps, mixing and separation processes, flow instabilities, non-newtonian flows, optimization of flow conditions, hydraulic transport, medical flows…For this purpose high-quality measurement techniques and numerical software are available.
At the end of 2002 Prof. Dominique Thévenin took over the former Laboratory of Fluid Mechanics. At the same time, the former Lab. of Turbomachines was merged into the new structure, now called Laboratory of Fluid Dynamics and Technical Flows (Lehrstuhl für Strömungsmechanik und Strömungstechnik, abbreviated LSS). Due to these changes new research topics have appeared at the Laboratory, centered on the investigation of complex flows, numerically as well as experimentally. A strong development in the field of CFD has also taken place. But existing research directions (for example the application of Particle Image Velocimetry to turbomachines, two-phase flows, flows with complex rheological properties) will be pursued.
Cooperations, conferences and Summer Schools:
- A few of our closest partners
- Prof. Thévenin was the Chairman of the International Conference Series entitled "Conference on Modelling Fluid Flow" in 2018. Our group organized there a workshop on "Biomedical Flows".
- The ERCOFTAC Conference "Simulation of Multiphase Flows in Gasification and Combustion" (Dresden, September 2011) has been a large success, involving more than 70 participants.
- The ERCOFTAC Summer-School "Large-Eddy Simulation and its Application in Aeroacoustics" (Hungary, September 2008) has been a large success, involving more than 30 participants.
- Prof. Thévenin has organized the ERCOFTAC Summer-School on "DNS of reacting and two-phase flows" (Berlin, 02. to 08.09.2007).
- Prof. Thévenin has also co-organized the ERCOFTAC Summer School on "LES of reacting flows" (Thessaloniki, Sept. 5th to 11th, 2004).